In the course of his mergers and acquisitions practice, he has acted for both purchasers and sellers in a wide range of cross-border and local merger and acquisition transactions. He also advises regularly on transfer of businesses and undertakings, statutory amalgamations, joint ventures, partnership agreements, group reorganisations and company disposals.
In the course of his banking and finance practice, Jabbar regularly acts for both lenders and borrowers in a wide range of cross-border and local financing transactions, including both conventional and Islamic financing transactions and debt capital market transactions such as bond issuances and securitisation transactions.
Jabbar also advises companies on corporate governance, compliance and regulatory matters. He is the company secretary to several listed companies as well as numerous private companies.
Jabbar has been listed as a leading practitioner in the Who's Who Legal - Management Labour and Employment for 2011, 2012 and 2013. He has also been recommended in Legal 500 (Corporate and M&A) and cited as providing his clients with 'consistently sound advice'.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Acted as Singapore counsel to Long Haul Holdings Ltd. and PT Bakrie & Brothers Tbk (Bakrie Group) on the acquisition of a 29.2% interest in PT Bumi Resources Tbk (Bumi Resources) from Asia Resource Minerals plc (formerly Bumi plc) (ARMS) for $501 million in cash, and the disposal of the Bakrie Group’s entire 23.8% indirect interest in ARMS to Ravenwood Acquisition Company Limited (RACL).
- Acted as Singapore counsel for Northstar Travel Media LLC in relation to the acquisition of Travel Weekly China, Travel Weekly Asia, and Events China from Contineo Media.
- Acted as lead counsel to GMG Global Ltd, a company listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange and a subsidiary of Sinochem International Corporation, in its acquisition of approximately 35% of the shares in the capital of Siat SA (which holds investments in various entities incorporated in Africa namely Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Nigeria and Gabon) for S$350 million.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to Julius Baer in its global acquisition of the wealth management business of Merrill Lynch.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to Ebay Inc. in the acquisition of a Singapore company in the e-commerce industry.
Banking and Finance
- Acted as Singapore counsel to TML Holdings Pte. Ltd (wholly owned subsidiary of India's largest automobile manufacturer, Tata Motors Limited) on a US$500 million loan facility.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to the FCI SA group of companies in relation to the grant of US$250,000,000 term loan facilities and US$30,000,000 revolving facilities from a syndicate of lenders.
- Acted for United Overseas Bank Limited in relation to a US$100 million loan facility to PT Provident Capital Indonesia.
- Acted for International City Development Pte. Ltd. in connection with the grant of up to S$103 million loan facilities from UOB Kay Hian Pte. Ltd.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to the lenders in relation to financing a take-over offer for shares by Fincantieri Oil & Gas S.p.A in STX OSV Holdings Limited (now known as Vard Holdings Limited ) listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange.
- Acted as Singapore legal counsel to TML Holdings Pte. Ltd (wholly owned subsidiary of India's largest automobile manufacturer, Tata Motors Limited) on a US$300 million Reg S bonds offering listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange.
- Acted as Singapore legal counsel to TML Holdings Pte. Ltd (wholly owned subsidiary of India's largest automobile manufacturer, Tata Motors Limited) on a S$350 million bonds offering listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange.
- Acted as Singapore legal counsel to the joint lead managers DBS Bank Ltd. and Standard Chartered Bank on an automobile loan and finance lease receivables securitisation transaction originated by BMW Financial Services Korea Co. Ltd.
- Acted as Singapore legal counsel to the arrangers in connection the refinancing of a credit card receivables securitization program generated by Diners Club (Singapore) Private Limited and applying to the Monetary Authority of Singapore for ‘Approved Special Purpose Vehicle’ status for the Singapore special purpose vehicle.
- Advised DBS Bank Ltd in the refinancing of a structured financing transaction and bonds issuance by Diners Club (Singapore) Private Limited.
- Acted as Singapore legal counsel to the arranger in connection the securitization of freight receivables generated by the CMA CGM group, which involved the sale of receivables by one of its Singapore subsidiary on a true sale basis.
- Acted as Singapore legal counsel to the arranger in connection the refinancing of an instalment loan receivables securitisation program generated by Courts (Singapore) Pte Ltd.
Employment and General corporate advisory
- Advising on corporate governance, employment and immigration matters which includes (i) drafting and reviewing employment contracts, employment handbooks, compliance handbooks for local companies and multi-national corporations, (ii) advising on termination of employees, wrongful or unfair dismissal, restraint of trade, solicitation clauses, retrenchment benefits claims, negotiations with trade unions, s18A transfers under the Employment Act, transfers of employees between legal entities in connection with divestments of businesses; and (iii) advising on employment passes and permanent residency status.
- Advising on general corporate matters such as capital reductions, amalgamations and financial assistance under the Singapore Companies Act.
- Advising on the establishment of business entities in Singapore, conversion of partnerships and companies into limited liability partnerships, drafting of corporate secretarial documentation.
- Reviewing of a wide variety of general corporate agreements such as distribution agreements, collaboration agreements, supply agreements, tenancy agreements and licence agreements.
Member, Singapore Academy of Law
Member, Law Society of Singapore
Director, R&T Corporate Services Pte Ltd
Director, Ray of Hope Initiative Limited