Chew Fern is a Partner with the Corporate Real Estate in Rajah & Tann LLP. Chew Fern graduated from the National University of Singapore and was called to the Singapore Bar in 1990.
Her practice is focused on corporate real estate law. Her experience includes representing and advising various major real estate developers, corporations, institutions, fund managers, investors, companies, registered societies and local authorities in the acquisitions and/or sale of vacant, residential, industrial, commercial land and buildings by tender, private treaty, on en-bloc basis and the development and sale of the completed properties.
Chew Fern has also advised local statutory boards, authorities and major real estate developers on projects in Singapore that involved the integration of infrastructures such as the light rail transport, bus interchange and the mass rapid transit stations with residential and commercial components in the developments.
Her other areas of practice include representing and advising major commercial landlords and tenants in commercial and residential leasing in Singapore.
- Advising for various leading commercial, industrial and residential landlords and developers in commercial, industrial and residential leasing in Singapore including structuring master lease templates and unit templates.
- Acting for various major real estate developers in the acquisition (including vacant land or on en-bloc basis), development and eventual sale of commercial, light industrial, residential and executive condominium developments.
- Advising local statutory boards and authorities and major real estate developers on special projects that involved the integration of infrastructures (e.g. the light rail transport, bus interchange and the mass rapid transit stations) with residential and commercial components in the developments.
- Acting for and advising corporations, institutions, fund managers, investors, companies, registered societies in direct and indirect acquisitions and sale of land and/or commercial buildings via tender, private treaty or on en-bloc basis including advising on the legal feasibility of the intended future use/development of the subject land and/or building under acquisition.
- Acted for a leading Singapore corporation and a foreign corporation in a joint bid to Jurong Town Corporation for the appointment as REIT manager to sponsor and manage a property portfolio comprising Jurong Town Corporation’s high-rise ready-built industrial property portfolio as part of Jurong Town Corporation’s on-going proposed divestment of selected industrial property portfolio to a real estate investment trust.
- Advised Jurong Town Corporation in the structuring of a public tender for the sale of one of Jurong Town Corporation’s dormitory comprising an estimated 400 units together with ancillary facilities including a canteen therein.
- Acted for foreign corporations in the acquisitions of vacant industrial sites from Jurong Town Corporation for the construction and development of industrial-specific buildings.
- Acted for foreign corporations in the disposal, acquisitions and leaseback transactions of completed Jurong Town Corporation properties as part of their global corporate restructuring or for investment purposes.
- Acted for the Vendor in the sale of the whole building at 55 Market Street, Sinsov Building for S$75 million.
- Acted for Purchaser in the purchase of the whole building at 60 Robinson Road for a sum of S$42.8 million.
- Acted for developer in the successful tender submission for a parcel of vacant land in Singapore intended for the construction of a mixed development comprising residential and commercial components for a sum of S$290,000,000.00.
- Acted for STMicroelectronics NV in the transfer of its Singapore flash memory business and wafer fabrication plant to Numonyx BV, the Dutch holding company in which STMicroelectronics acquired a majority ownership interest, with Intel and Francisco Partners holding the remaining interests. The wider transaction resulted in the creation of the world’s third largest non-volatile memory chip provider.
- Acted for Lonza Group, one of the world’s leading suppliers in the pharmaceutical, healthcare and life science industries, in the sale of its cell culture biologic manufacturing facility to Genentech Singapore Pte Ltd (a member of the Roche Group) and the investment by Biomedical Sciences Investment Fund Pte Ltd in Lonza Biologics Tuas Pte. Ltd, which operates another of Lonza Group’s large scale mammalian cell culture manufacturing facility in Singapore.
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore