Lawrence has extensive experience in takeovers, mergers and acquisitions. He advises clients on a broad range of mergers and acquisitions (M&A) transactions including:
- takeovers (contested and uncontested) of Singapore listed companies;
- mergers and schemes of arrangements;
- delistings, privatizations, de-mergers and corporate re-organizations; and
- acquisitions and divestments of companies (both public and private), businesses and assets.
Some of the notable M&A transactions which Lawrence has worked on include:
- Parkway Holdings Limited -- competing general offer by RHC Healthcare Pte Ltd (owned by RHC Holding Private Limited and Fortis Healthcare Limited), which valued the target at S$3.2 billion;
- The Straits Trading Company Limited -- competing general offer by Knowledge Two Investment Pte Ltd, which valued the target at S$2.13 billion;
- The Ascott Group Limited -- voluntary general offer by CapitaLand Limited group to privatize the target, which valued the target at S$2.78 billion;
- United Industrial Corporation Limited -- mandatory general offer by a subsidiary of Philippines-listed JG Summit Holdings, Inc. and potential chain general offer for Singapore Land Limited, which valued the target at S$1.5 billion and Singapore Land at S$2.3 billion;
- Natsteel Limited -- advising Sanion Enterprises Pte Ltd in the contested control of NatSteel Ltd; subsequently acted for Oei Hong Leong Foundation Pte Ltd in its mandatory general offer for the company, which valued the target at S$485.6 million;
- Overseas Union Bank Limited (OUB) -- acted for OUB in the competing share cum cash offers by United Overseas Bank and DBS Bank, which valued OUB at S$10.2 billion and S$9.4 billion, respectively;
- SMB United Limited (SMB) -- acted for SMB in the competing voluntary general offers by Boer Power Holdings Limited and Osaki Electric Co., Ltd., which valued SMB at S$164.2 million and S$205.2 million, respectively; and
- Vantage Corporation Ltd -- competing general offer by SC Global Developments Ltd.
Lawrence’s practice also encompasses corporate finance and capital markets transactions. He handles equity capital markets transactions including rights issues, preferential offerings and placements of equity or convertible securities (including preference shares, warrants and convertible bonds). Lawrence has also handled debt capital offerings through issues of fixed and variable rate bonds/notes by way of single issuances as well as through medium term notes programmes.
In addition, Lawrence advises clients on securities laws and regulations, and compliance with the requirements of Singapore listing rules. Lawrence’s other experience includes venture capital investments, joint ventures and employment matters.
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore