Nigel was called to the Singapore Bar in May 2004 after graduating from the University of Durham with an LL.B in 2002 and from the National University of Singapore with a Graduate Diploma in Singapore Law in 2003. Nigel is also admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales.
Nigel has litigation, arbitration and mediation experience and has been involved in a wide range of commercial disputes, with an emphasis on corporate insolvency, recovery and debt restructuring. He has acted for and advised various parties (from both the creditor and debtor perspective) on a range of personal and corporate insolvency matters encompassing liquidation, judicial management, schemes of arrangement, voluntary arrangements and debt restructuring. He has also advised on cross-border insolvency issues and on issues relating to investigations into cross-border dissipation of assets and tracing. He also has experience in SIAC and JCAA arbitrations.
Nigel has also acted for parties in other commercial disputes, in recovery claims for contractors, suppliers and service providers, in landlord and tenant disputes and in disposal inquiry proceedings. He also has an active practice in family disputes, particularly in maintenance and custody issues. Nigel has also participated as a panel speaker on dispute resolution and also volunteers at pro-bono legal clinics.
Commercial litigation, fraud and tracing
- Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken AB (Publ), Singapore Branch v Asia Pacific Breweries (Singapore) Pte Ltd and another and another appeal  3 SLR 540
- Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken AB (Publ), Singapore Branch v Asia Pacific Breweries (Singapore) Pte Ltd and another and another suit  4 SLR(R) 788
- Raffles Money Change Pte Ltd (formerly known as Honest Money Changer Pte Ltd) v Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken AB (Publ) (formerly known as Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken AB)  3 SLR(R) 1
- S Y Technology Inc v Pacific Recreation Pte Ltd  2 SLR(R) 756
- CHS CPO GmbH & Another v Vikas Goel & Others  SGHC 49
- OCM Opportunities Fund II, LP & Others v Burhan Uray (alias Wong Ming Kiong) & Others  4 SLR 74
- Advising special accountants on disclosure requirements of a listed company in relation to certain acquisitions and transactions.
- Advising local and foreign institutions on banking issues, including the enforcement of banking facilities and securities (local and cross-border), advising on banking secrecy obligations, suspicious transaction reporting, and anti-money laundering regulations.
- Advising sub-contractors in recovering on unpaid invoices.
- Advising landlords and tenants in disputes.
- Advising banks in rights of recovery in disposal inquiry proceedings.
- Advising minority shareholders of a restaurant group on rights of recovery against other shareholders.
International arbitrations and cross-border matters
- Represented a trust in an SIAC arbitration against an Indonesian pulp company in a multi-million dollar claim arising from various pulp purchase agreements.
- Represented a distributor in a JCAA arbitration arising from termination of a distribution agreement.
- Advising forensic accountants on investigations into potential dissipation of assets by a listed company with subsidiaries in the region, including fabrication of fictitious invoices, phantom suppliers, wrongful use of company funds, general mismanagement and breaches of directors’ duties.
- Assisting in cross-border tracing of assets arising from fraudulent mismanagement of a USD350 million fund set up in various cities in Indonesia, including Jakarta, Bandung, Surabaya and Bali.
- Advising on issues relating to the recovery of assets of a Sri Lankan national in Singapore.
Insolvency and restructuring
- The Royal Bank of Scotland NV (formerly known as ABN Amro Bank NV) and Ors v TT International Ltd and anor appeal  SGCA 9
- Liquidators of Progen Engineering Pte Ltd v Progen Holdings Ltd  4 SLR 1089
- Liquidators of Progen Engineering Pte Ltd v Progen Holdings Ltd  SGHC 286
- Advising provisional liquidators and liquidators of a listed company registered in Bermuda on a range of liquidation issues in Singapore.
- Advising creditor and lenders in debt restructuring exercises and schemes of arrangements.
- Advising companies, including listed companies, in schemes of arrangement.
- Advising board of directors on winding-down of local operations and subsidiaries.
- Advising American entity on winding-down of local representative office.
- Advising a local entity on restraint of trade covenants affecting a key employee.
- Advising local management on issues arising from termination of key employee.
- Advising a local entity on action arising from breaches of confidentiality by a group of key employees.
Family disputes and succession
- AYM v AYL  SGCA 68
- AYL v AYM  SGHC 64
- Chng Heng Tee (alias Cheng Kim Tee) & another v Estate & Trust Agencies (1927) Ltd (Ho Hong Bee Christina (executrix of the estate of Koh Tek Heng, deceased), intervener) and another matter  1 SLR 681
- AMJ v AML  SGDC 404
- Advising a wife in resisting the variation of an ancillaries consent order in the Family Court and on appeal in the High Court.
- Advising a father in custody and access disputes in the Family Court.
- Advising a father in resisting a maintenance application for $15,000 in favour of a reasonable order.
- Advising a wife in recovering reasonable maintenance for herself and her child.
- Advising a mother in custody and access disputes in the Family Court.
- Advising in contested ancillary matter hearings.
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Associate, Association of Certified Fraud Examiners