WITHIN THIS PRACTICE
Our efforts as one of the very few law firms in Singapore with an entertainment and media law practice have been recognized within the industry. Our lawyers are leading entertainment and media practitioners in Singapore.
The Practice is committed to securing and protecting clients’ key assets being the creativity within the various ‘players’ in the entertainment and media industry – performers, artists, producers, film directors, actors, and the works they create.
We are able to guide clients in unlocking the value of the product of their creation and in safeguarding it for continued commercial exploitation.
Depth of experience
In an entertainment world that increasingly values cross-media knowledge, our experience in this industry allows us to provide valuable and prompt advice to our clients. Our clients include motion picture and television producers, television networks, authors, investors, technology companies, game companies, writers, performers, government entities, to name a few.
Breadth of our practice
We provide advice to clients on a broad spectrum of entertainment and media related matters including rights acquisition, film and television (live action, animated, reality and other genres) financing, production and distribution, merchandizing, game development and publishing, multiple platform exploitation including new media commercialization or Internet based projects, sponsorship and endorsement, data protection, confidentiality and privacy issues, technology related matters.
Our Practice in addition spans litigation based work including acting for clients in media related disputes, prosecuting parties on behalf of rights owners for infringement of the rights owners’ intellectual property works such as unauthorized downloads of copyright materials, unauthorized sale of infringing works.
Some of the services we provide include :
- Celebrity endorsement agreements
- Sponsorship agreements
- Film and Television Series financing, production and distribution
- Entertainment related investment agreements
- Sales agent agreements
- Merchandising agreements
- New media (including Internet) and communications
- Entertainment collaboration arrangements
- Recording agreements
- Talent agreements
- Copyright and trademark advice including prosecution, exploitation
- Intellectual property rights assignment and licensing
- Option agreements
- Rights clearances and acquisition
- Product placements
- Virtual worlds
- Intellectual property litigation, including copyright, trade mark, design and patent infringement
- Anti-piracy enforcement actions
With our broad client base, it is not uncommon for our lawyers to introduce and / or bring clients together to collaborate on entertainment / media projects.
Covering every inch of the field
To give you just a flavour of the diversity of the work we handle, we have advised sports bookmakers on legal and regulatory issues; TV broadcasters on issues relating to the use of sports content; sports governing bodies on funding and governance; sports personalities and commercial sponsors on the exploitation of intellectual property rights; and athletes on doping, corruption and misconduct charges.
Notable recent projects include performing legal due diligence for the International Olympic Committee in relation to the Beijing Olympic Games 2008; drafting the legislation and rules for the introduction of Formula 1 betting in Singapore; and being appointed as legal advisors to the Singapore Asian Youth Games Organising Committee, the Singapore Sports Council and professional S-League club Etoile FC.
WITHIN THIS PRACTICE
Within this practice, we undertake legal work relating to the following:
Player Representation, Image Rights and Endorsement
- Player contracts
- Work permits
- Player transfers
- Endorsement contracts
Strategic Rights Management
- Advising on strategic and planning issues
- Formulation and implementation of business and commercial plans
- Legal and commercial rights structures
Governance and Regulatory Matters
- Advising on regulatory issues and the development of regulatory structures for national and international governing bodies, event organisers, clubs and individuals
- Drafting governing body regulations
- Advising on sports governance issues
- Advising on implementation and enforcement of anti-doping programmes
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Joint ventures
- Flotation on the stock market
- Strategic corporate options and financial models
- Media franchising documentation, including investment agreements, equity financing agreements and bank
Sports Facilities and Stadia Development
- Acquisition and management of stadia
- Construction contracts
- Advice on all planning aspects
Brand Protection and Licensing
- Brand creation
- Trademark and copyright and design protection and enforcement programmes
- Implementation of brand licensing strategies
- Content Licensing
Sports Sponsorship and Event Management
- Sponsorship, merchandising, ticketing and other commercial agreements
- Strategic sports commercial advice
- Protection, enforcement and exploitation of commercial rights
Regulation of Sport
- Advising governing bodies and sports associations on rule making and legal compliance
- Advising on competition law and other external regulatory regimes
Sports Broadcast and New Media
- Television, radio, internet, video and all related commercial rights agreements for acquisition and exploitation
- Rights clearance
- Acquisition, identification and protection of rights and distribution/exploitation arrangements for such content on all media
- Interactive gaming and sports e-commerce arrangements
Dispute Resolution in Sport
- Litigation of disputes
- Alternative dispute resolution
- Challenges to enforceability of rules and regulations
- Challenges to / enforcement of rulings of governing bodies
- Advising on disciplinary procedures and acting in related proceedings
- Disputes over dope testing procedures and results
- Advising on sports betting structures
- Crafting of sports betting rules
- Advising on regulatory aspects of sports betting
- Advising on customer claims complaints and disputes
- International Olympic Committee
- Singapore Sports Council
- Singapore Pools
- Football Association of Singapore
- Singapore Sports Hub Consortium
- British and Irish Lions Tour of South Africa
- Air Sports New Zealand
- Dentsu Pte Ltd
- The Red Card Pte Ltd
- Repucom Asia Pte Ltd
- World Wakeboard Association
- Various national athletes and sports personalities
- Li Ning (China) Sports Goods Co., Ltd
- Super Reds Football Club
- S&M Sportshub Pte Ltd
- North Queensland Fury FC Tour of Asia
- Etoile FC
- Total Sports Entertainment
- Commodities Asia Pte Ltd
- Youth Initiatives
- Dream + Pte Ltd
- Singapore Asian Youth Games Organising Committee
Collectively, the lawyers in this well established team have arguably the widest experience and deepest expertise of any gaming law practice in Singapore. Through our work with a very wide range of clients, we’ve acquired a thorough and practical understanding of the entire spectrum of lottery, gaming and betting operations and products – which, combined with our legal know-how, can provide our clients with real competitive advantage.
We routinely advise on the legal and regulatory aspects of:
- Product conception and development
- Devising of game rules
- Setting up of betting accounts and e-payment procedures
- Actuarial services
- Product launch and distribution (including regulatory restrictions on retail outlet operations)
- Prize claims and disputes over prize entitlements
Uniquely, we have also advised on the drafting of local gaming legislation, and have helped establish the legal framework governing legalized sports betting in Singapore.
WITHIN THIS PRACTICE
Legal support work
We carry out a wide range of legal support work, including the listing of casino operations, vetting of leases, IT contracts, distributorship and supplier contracts, gaming content licences and other intellectual property issues, online banking issues, tax issues, consultancy contracts, sponsorship contracts and dispute resolution.
Multiple platform expertise
We have assisted in the provision of gaming services over multiple platforms including the internet and mobile phones.
As a result, the unique contracts and business models in this sector are familiar territory, and we have structured white label agreements, betting data centre agreements and mobile betting payment fulfilment contracts. We’ve also advised on gaming and sports betting advertising regulations for various Asia Pacific jurisdictions.
State, foreign and offshore operators
We have wide experience working with state, foreign and offshore private gaming operators, including the only legalized gaming operator in Singapore, a Malaysian licensed lottery operator, a UK based casino, a cruise ship casino and international gaming operators who offer online casinos, lotteries and sports betting products.
We also help companies planning to enter the gaming industry – by undertaking due diligence, feasibility studies and regulatory analysis; enlisting back-end and front-line operational support; dealing with contractual relationships with gaming vendors; and preparing and vetting supplier contracts.
FOR EXAMPLE . . .
Some further examples of our involvement and expertise in gaming transactions include:
- Structuring legal documentation and terms of participation for on-line betting, on-line casino and on-line betting exchange services.
- Advising on legal infrastructure for data centre services pertaining to on-line gaming.
- Advising on incorporation issues and shareholder issues in international gaming ventures and related regulatory concerns.
- Advising on a reverse takeover of a Singapore-listed company through the injection of a Macau casino business into the Singapore-listed company.
- Advising on gaming licence application processes in overseas jurisdictions such as Gibraltar, Vanuatu, Aldernay, Malta, Antigua / Barbuda, Kahnawake (Canada) and the Philippines.
- Advising on licensing and regulatory compliance issues under the Casino Control Act.
- Preparing legal documentation relating to account betting.
- Advising a racing and number forecasts operator on the supply of gaming technology products and services by a leading lottery and gaming technology solutions provider.
- Advising on laws governing marketing and sponsorship activities by foreign online gaming companies.