Andrew is cited as a leading lawyer for IT & telecoms in Asia Pacific Legal 500. ‘Andrew Ong possesses broad sector expertise’. Asia Law Profiles writes that ‘Andrew Ong is frequently cited as one of the top 100 telecoms lawyers globally’. He has also been identified as a leading Communications practitioner in Singapore by Global Counsel 3000. He has also been recognised as a leading Competition and Anti-Trust lawyer by PLC Which Lawyer? Yearbook Singapore. Andrew Ong has been selected by Who’s Who Legal as one of the world’s leading regulatory and communications lawyers.
He was recommended for telecommunication law work in the European Counsel publication, Global Communications Industry Report, in Euromoney Legal Media Group’s publication, Expert Guides and in Law Business Research’s publication, An International Who’s Who of Telecommunications Lawyers. He is also the co-author of the Singapore Chapter featured in the international edition of Getting The Deal Through – Telecoms 2001-2007. He chaired a Law Society Seminar on The Impending Competition Law in Singapore and has advised on a number of major matters presently before the Competition Commission of Singapore. Andrew is on the board of advisory editors for The Indian Journal of Law and Technology. He is a sitting member of the Broadcast, Publications and Arts Appeal Committee of the Media Development Authority.
Andrew is one of the privileged few to have been involved with the liberalisation of the Infocomm & Media Industry in Singapore, at its very inception. “I’m grateful to have been given a chance to be a part of the architectural and implementation team which saw the sea-change in the telco landscape from its monopoly era to what it is today. And then to personally witness the application of some of the same competition law principles to the Media and Print industries. And now to be working with a Competition Act that is generic in scope, is really satisfying!”
Today, Andrew involves himself in dealing with cases that have a multi-regulator dimension or coordinating projects that have cross-border regulatory features. He advises on government relations and strategic planning at a regional level.
- Setting up of Pan Asian Broadcasting Hubs including all regulatory aspects for local operation, Uplink, Downlink and Satellite Transponder Agreements.
- Telecommunications Industry Licence Applications and Market Access Work generally.
- Advised on telecom industry NLA dispute.
- Advisory work on Regulator’s Powers to issue Directions – Codes of Conduct; Interconnection, IRS and Co-Lo’s.
- International Joint-Ventures between Media Content Providers.
- Carrier regional start-up work - corporate structures, licensing and infrastructure build-up.
- Market Based Allocation of Spectrum Rights for 3G, 2G and LMDS Offerings.
- Tariff Reviews (FLEC/LRIC).
- Regulation of Competition in the Telco and Media Markets.
- Negotiation of Carriage Agreement between Pay TV Operator and Content Provider.
- Acted as local counsel on the formulation and drafting of the Telecom Competition Code.
- Acted as local counsel in drafting a comprehensive framework for reviewing the competitive effects of merger and acquisitions in connection with the telecommunications industry.
- Acted as local counsel in the drafting of the Media Market Conduct Code.
- Advised a global telecommunications carrier on sectoral competition provisions relating to an acquisition of shares in a Singapore telecommunications operator.
- Advised a global telecommunications company on price fixing provisions for the re-sale of international telecommunication services.
- Acted for the telecommunications regulator in conducting a competition merger review involving the consolidation of a Dominant carrier and Non-dominant carrier under the Telecom Competition Code.
- Advised a Singapore listed company on issues relating to exclusive dealing, mandatory bundling and predatory pricing under the Media Market Conduct Code.
- Acted for a Singapore listed company in conducting a comprehensive audit of its business practices, existing agreements, and business arrangements to facilitate compliance with the Competition Act and for the purposes of public consultation during the public consultation phase of the Competition Bill.
- Advised a MNC in the cement and concrete industry on competition law compliance with the Competition Act.
- Advised a multi-national gas company on anti-competitive provisions in an existing agreement.
- Advised a multi-national pharmaceuticals company on competition and anti-boycott laws in Singapore.
- Advised a multi-national tobacco company on competition law dawn raid guidelines.
- Advised the telecommunications regulator on competition issues arising from the Telecom Competition Code.
- Advised the telecommunications regulator on enforcement action for contravention of the anti-competitive provisions in the Telecom Competition Code (including abuse of dominance and anti-competitive arrangements).
- Advised on trade issues relating to strategic goods.
- Advisory Panel, The Indian Journal of Law and Technology
- Member of the Broadcast, Publications and Arts Appeal Committee, (1 November 2012 to 31 October 2015)
- Singapore Academy of Law
- Law Society of Singapore
- Board Director (4-year term from May 2013); Exco Member, Lex Mundi (The World’s leading Association of Independent law firms)
- Editor and joint author, ‘Your Guide To E-Commerce Law In Singapore’
- Author of Singapore Chapter of Telecoms and Broadcasting Regulation in the international editions (2001-2007) of GCR’s ‘Getting The Deal Through-Telecoms/Telecoms & Media’
- An Analysis of Broadband Deployment, Law Asia Conference (Australia)
- Author, Serlah Article – Competition Law: The Singapore Experience and What Malaysia Can Expect (May – June 2006)
- Lead Panelist, Lex Mundi Webinar on ASEAN Economic Community 2015
- Co-Organiser, Speaker & Panelist, Rajah & Tann Regulatory Day 2012, 2013