Yew Chen is a Corporate M&A lawyer with a specialisation in Regulatory & Trade, and Technology, Media & Telecommunications laws.
Yew Chen is recognised as a leading lawyer for Competition, Mergers & Acquisitions, and IT & Telecoms in the Chambers Asia Pacific, Asialaw Profiles, and The Legal 500 Asia Pacific rankings, respectively.
He has practised in London and Singapore, and continues to advise on cross border transactions, mergers and acquisitions, telecommunications projects, trade, and general corporate and regulatory matters.
Yew Chen regularly advises private equity funds, multinationals, and public and private companies on these areas of law, and is familiar with the various regulatory authorities for competition, telecommunications, and trade.
Corporate, Mergers & Acquisitions
- Advised the owners on the restructuring and disposal of their group companies and assets in Malaysia, China and Indonesia for RM900 million to a global private equity firm.
- Advised a private equity fund on its investment into the largest dairy producer in Malaysia, and ensuing shareholders arrangement with the promoters.
- Advised a private equity fund on its acquisition of a chain of supermarkets in East Malaysia, and ensuing shareholders arrangement with the promoters.
- Advised, in two separate transactions, a private equity fund and a foreign publicly listed company, on their respective acquisitions of two cinema chains in Malaysia.
- Advised on the disposal of factory operations in Malaysia and Shanghai to a UK public listed company.
- Advised a private equity fund on the acquisition of an Indonesian manufacturing business.
- Advised a Malaysian public listed company on its joint venture operations in South Africa.
- Advised a Malaysian public listed company on its acquisition of a stake in a GBP 500 million biomass power plant, including the acquisition of an Isle of Man company for the plant’s operations.
- Advised a Malaysian government-linked company on the disposal of its cable car operating subsidiary.
- Advised a Malaysian public listed company on the disposal of its machine shop business to a wholly-owned subsidiary of Japanese multinational corporation.
- Advised a Malaysian private company on the acquisition of a German technology company specialising in 3D technology.
- Advised several clients on their acquisitions of, and investments in, the food and beverage industry.
- Advised a client on the sale of their digital advertising business to a multinational advertising company.
- Advised a public listed company on its corporate restructuring exercise pursuant to the Listing Requirements of Bursa Securities Malaysia.
- Advised the Employees Provident Fund and Maybank Private Equity on the restructuring and sale of their investment in a biomass group of companies.
Regulatory & Trade
- Advised and assisted two different foreign banks with the establishment of their respective commercial banking subsidiaries in Malaysia.
- Advised a multinational oil & gas company on its compliance programme on anti-bribery & corruption, sanctions & trade, data privacy, and competition laws.
- Advised a multinational engineering company on its annual compliance programme for its business in Malaysia, including on its annual compliance questionnaires relating to compliance issues on corporate matters, environmental issues, commercial, regulatory, licensing, transportation, and competition.
- Advised various clients on trading with entities on the Malaysian restricted list, including compliance with US Anti-Boycott laws in conjunction with US counsel.
- Advised various clients on laws and regulations on cross boarder trading through e-commerce platforms.
- Advised a Malaysian long haul low cost carrier on its collaboration with two other airlines in Malaysia and the implications of the collaboration under the Competition Act 2010.
- Advised a Malaysian long haul low cost carrier on its collaboration agreements with a regional short haul low cost carrier and the implications of the agreements under the Competition Act 2010.
- Advised a Malaysian public listed telecommunications provider on the anti-competition provisions under the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998.
- Advised various clients on import and export laws for alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.
- Advised various clients on the Malaysian Customs tariffs and licensing requirements across a broad range of products and industries.
- Advising an association and a regulator on their respective draft codes of practice for data protection for their industry, as required under the Personal Data Protection Act 2010
Technology, Media & Telecommunications
- Advised two different mobile telecommunications operators on their rights to challenge spectrum reallocation by the Government in 2016 and 2019, respectively.
- Advised a multinational corporation that provides online content on the establishment of its operations in Malaysia.
- Advised on the establishment of an Internet service provider in Malaysia, including its operations and negotiations with telecommunication vendors and service providers.
- Advised an ITC service provider on its RM900 million dispute with a multinational software company.
- Advised a Malaysian public listed telecommunications company on its RM4 billion multi-vendor procurement contracts for High Speed Broadband in Malaysia.
- Advised a Malaysian public listed company on the rollout of its RM2.5 billion WiMAX network in Malaysia and its multi-vendor negotiations for the acquisition of network elements and rollout of a multi-vendor network environment.
- Acted as lead counsel for the restructuring and outsourcing of various IT-related contracts for a multinational company involving over 60 jurisdictions globally.
- Advised a Malaysian public listed telecommunications company on its RM11.3 billion public private partnership with the Government of Malaysia for the rollout of High Speed Broadband in Malaysia.
- Acted for a Swedish multinational telecommunications provider in its US$780 million bid to provide outsourcing services for a leading Malaysian telecommunications company.
- Advised the subsidiaries of a Malaysian public listed company on the drafting of its agreements with respect to e-commerce, data protection and privacy laws.
- Advised various multinational telecommunication companies and service providers on the regulatory and licensing requirements of the Malaysian telecommunications industry, including their respective applications for various licences under the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Act 1998.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, ITTIP Committee, American-Malaysian Chamber of Commerce, Malaysia
- Member, Future in Technology Committee, Bar Council, Malaysia
- Co-author, MAICSA’s Quick Guide on the Companies Act 2016 (2017)
- Co-author, Chapter on Entertainment, Bullen & Leake & Jacob’s Malaysian Precedents of Pleading (2017)
- Co-author, “The Trans-Pacific Partnership and Malaysia”, Global Trade and Customs Journal, Volume 11, Issue 4 (2016)
- Co-author, Media & Entertainment Law, Thompson Reuters (2013).
- General editor and regular contributor of articles to the Firm’s dedicated monthly column on legal issues in theSun, a Malaysian newspaper, since 2010.