Yee Ming’s forte is managing complex negotiations, especially in a technical environment. His clients value the commercial insights he brings from the 10 years that he spent in industry in various strategy, commercial and general management roles within multinational corporations.
Yee Ming’s experience includes several years managing commercial bid-and-proposal teams at Lucent Technologies. He was also Strategy Director for Lucent’s Wireless Networks Business. Subsequently, he took on the role of legal counsel at Accenture in Hong Kong, with regional coverage. In Malaysia, Yee Ming worked on secondment to Scomi Engineering Berhad, heading its legal team.
Clients leverage Yee Ming’s industry experience by engaging him to lead their in-house M&A teams in advising on project-managing, negotiating and closing transactions.
Yee Ming has been engaged in projects involving the engineering, procurement and construction of monorail lines, wireless telecoms networks and information technology systems. He has also been involved in undertaking due diligence and advising on acquisitions and disposals of IT businesses, oil country tubular goods (OCTG) and waste treatment and disposal businesses, logistics businesses, mining concessions, commercial real estate projects and franchised retail businesses in the region, particularly in Malaysia, Singapore and Vietnam. Yee Ming has also consulted on and developed templates incorporating best practices for use in large-scale procurements.
Notable Cases & Transactions
- Assisted a regional telecommunications infrastructure services company in drafting the bye-laws for an employee incentive plan. This matter is of particular significance given that they were contemplating the option of a listing and IPO on the stock exchange of Malaysia (Bursa Malaysia) at a speculated valuation of USD 2.5 billion.
- Assisted and advised the Malaysian subsidiary of a global leader in fire production solutions provider on its rights and obligations arising from its termination of a foreign employee. This included advice on the Malaysian severance as well as the Malaysian law considerations in the global severance.
- Acted for an established heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems provider with presence in Malaysia for more than 60 years, in addressing various employment issues arising from the impending business closure, including dealing with retiring employees, consultation with employee union, issues arising from selection process as business units will be downsized gradually to the eventual closure, calculation of retrenchment benefits and potential retaliation or insubordination issues. This included advising the senior management on other aspects of the business closure, such as alternate restructuring options, licensing issues, sale of assets and winding-up procedure.
- Acted for the Malaysian arm of a Fortune 500 company and one of the largest companies in the world in motion control technologies, including aerospace, climate control, electromechanical, and hydraulics, to investigate the work culture as well as the work relationship between the employees therein. The findings of the investigation served as a guide to assess the performance of key management personnel.
- Advised a global manufacturer and supplier of standard and perforated tipping papers that has been operating in Malaysia for more than 15 years, on the consideration and procedures of terminating the employment of an underperforming C-suite employee, which included translating the shortcomings of the said employee into discernible figures, advising on the documentation of the performance review and drafting the warning letter and mutual separation agreement. The advice included the assessment of ex-gratia payment and advising on the procedures to terminate the C-suite employee’s directorship, as well as the delicate negotiations and timing of the termination and appointment of both employees, shortening of notice periods and the drafting of the executive service agreement of the new C-suite employee.
- Acted as Malaysian counsel for Wingtech Technology Co Ltd. in the acquisition of an indirect controlling stake in Nexperia Holding B.V.
- Acted for Electrolux as local counsel for the separation of the Electrolux Professional business from the Electrolux Group in Malaysia via a share transfer exercise.
- Assisted the subsidiaries of one of Malaysia’s largest retail conglomerates in its transformation from a card-based loyalty programme service provider into a digital platform offering. This includes conducting due diligence on potential partners, structuring transactions for the client, negotiating with potential partners to protect the client’s interest in its minority investment, and working with the external financial advisors appointed by the client to structure the various businesses into a holding company and to fund-raise for the holding company.
- Acting for a US incorporated entity of a China-based company involved in the manufacturing of protective disposal gloves, in its share acquisition of a Malaysian subsidiary disposable medical gloves manufacturing company.
- Acted for Aseana Properties Limited (LSE: ASPL) in the RM419 million disposal of the Aloft Kuala Lumpur Sentral Hotel.
- Acted as local counsel (in collaboration with Rajah & Tann LLP) for Heinemann Asia Pacific Pet Ltd in its EUR52 million acquisition of an equity interest in DFZ Capital Bhd, the largest duty-free retailing group in Malaysia.
- Acted for the owners of the TF hypermarket business in the sale of their business to KV Asia Capital.
- Acted for Envictus International Holdings Ltd (SP: EIH) in its acquisition of the San Francisco Coffee specialty coffee chain.
- Acted for Dorner Mfg on its acquisition of Flexmove group of companies, a Malaysian manufacturer of conveyor transportation systems.
- Acted for Berjaya Corporation Berhad (MYX: 3395) in its acquisition of a data analytics business.
- Acted for the shareholders of Gading Sari Aviation Sdn Bhd in the RM72m disposal of their air freight operator business.
- Acted for Sumitomo Corporation (TYO: 8053) in the establishment of an integrated OCTG supply and pipe threading facility in Brunei, and the operation and management of the facility on an outsourced basis.
- Acted for Scomi Engineering Bhd (MYX: 7366) in the US$110 million sale of its regional OCTG machine shop business headquartered in Singapore to Sumitomo Corporation.
- Acted for Aseana Properties Limited (LSE: ASPL) in the acquisition of shares in Nam Long Investment Corporation (HOSE: NLG).
- Acted for Aseana Properties Limited (LSE: ASPL) in its joint venture with Hoa Lam Services Co. Ltd. to develop the US$770 million GDV International Hi-Tech Healthcare Park.
- Acted for Ireka Corporation Berhad (MYX: 8834) in its two-call rights issue.
- Acted for Amalgamated Industrial Steel Berhad (MYX: 2682) in its par-value reduction exercise.
- Acted for Mega First Corporation Berhad (MYX: 3069), in the formation of a joint venture to invest in a power plant in Indochina.
- Acted for Frontier Capital Group Limited (ASX: FCG) in its acquisition of CK Graphic Sdn Bhd.
- Consulting and advising on the formulation of corporate governance processes and procedures for a company listed on an international stock exchange.
- Consulting and advising on the formulation of best practices in tender and procurement processes and documentation.
- Drafting and negotiating the documents on behalf of Lucent Technologies for the design, sale and rollout of a US$700 million wireless telephone network in Taiwan.
- Drafting and negotiating the documents on behalf of Accenture in a Business Process Outsourcing of information technology functions by a large conglomerate in Thailand.